What is UX Leadership?
Leadership is interpreted in many different ways by many different organizations, yet key to most of these interpretations is that leaders need to have strong vision and excellent listening skills.
UX Leadership, from my experience, involves helping the business team form a strong vision by listening to internal and external customers and using strategic knowledge to apply Design Thinking tools and exercises in order to understand and focus on both the key concerns and the moments of happiness customers experience.
A deep, visceral comprehension of the unspoken fears as well as moments of joy empowers my teams to be more creative and effective while my business partners are more confident in our strategy, design, milestones and end product/experience.
- Listen to and collaborate with my business partners and other organization leaders
- Understand and sculpt a short-term and long-term vision based on what we know of the past, what we are experiencing in the present, and what we forecast for the future
- Listen to my team to understand their strengths and weaknesses
- Design specific exercises and experiences to build team trust and cohesion
- Speak with conviction, courage, and transparency about what will work and what will not both in the team and outside the team
- Mentor them to grow into their full potential even if it means they will leave the team as they evolve